Ok so I'm about 2 months late. But I'm not here to talk to you about that so..MOVING RIGHT ALONG. We're here to talk about what I have already brought with me into 2018 and what I plan to reach back into 2017 to grab to bring along for the ride. Right to it:
1. Aveeno Clear Complexion Cleanser : okay. Lord, I come to you as humbly as I know how to ask that you guide my skin...ORDER ITS FOOTSTEPS to days free of makeup, dark spots, and age marks. Amen. I'd like to think I've stumbled across MY cleanser. Doting super combo skin, I'm always on the hunt for the perfect cleanser. Much against what I used to believe, I prefer a gentle cleanser. One that doesn't foam up too much and ends up stripping my skin. Insert Aveeno Cream Cleanser. Did I find it at Marshalls/TJ Maxx? Yes. Do i have a problem with frequenting those stores? No. :) I absolutely love this cleanser because of how baby bottom smooth my skin feels afterwords EVEN when I have active acne. I don't know whether to attribute the greatness to the soy extract or the salicylic acid but dis mah baby.
2. Choosing Happiness: Although I thought I was doing a great job at being "grown" by having an attitude at any given moment, I was really hurting myself beyond belief. After reading a few "self-help" books (go grab You Are A Badass, Etched Upon My Heart, The Gifts of Imperfection) and listening to inspirational podcasts (Super Soul), I realized that my rude/petty tendencies, outbursts accompanied with flying middle fingers, and smart ass mouth was just adding to how uptight and tense I always was. (still am sometimes, but you ain't perfect either. bye.) The bottom line I hear and read through everything is to remove others from the equation and get to myself. And ask ARE YOU REALLY THAT DAMN MAD? In the recent months I have gone out of my way to make sure any bouts of anger, annoyance, etc are kept to a minimum. Before I would allow a smart remark from a coworker or being cutoff in traffic to control the rest of my day. With the dreams and intentions I have for my life, I can't afford to allow another day slip through my fingers. I choose happy. I choose what makes my light shine. Get on board, eh?
4. Black Castor Oil & Flaxseed Gel: Now as we all know EcoStyler Gel is the golden ticket into Ultimate Black Girl Magic. It has led us all to slicked down buns, popping twistouts, and edges that lay flatter than a rug. I thought my journey with EcoStyler ended when they came out with the Argan Oil version. I was satisfied with the results and figured it wouldn't get any better. Well, I was wrong. After chatting with a long time friend about her step by step to a sleek middle part bun, Patrice let me know I had to give the newest addition to the EcoStyler family a try. I was so hyped by her results that I went off the deep end and purchased the 32 fl oz jar! Yall, I have made a quite a dent in this jar after having it a part of my arsenal for the past two weeks. I love to prep my edges with the gel prior to using a stronger edge control with some hold. The combo is unreal and lasts all day! The gel is essential to my buns, whether low or high. Per her suggestion, I layer water and the gel section by section until I can wrangle it into a smooth, popping bun! The hair gods didn't come to play with this one. And because of it, I am forever indebeted.
5. Wigs, Weaves, & Ponytails: The joys of being a black, magical girl. We can turn a $20 half wig from the local BBS into a LOOK. Serving the children and giving them what they need. I experimented so much with extensions in all forms last year for two reasons. Numero uno: It's what I could afford. Number TWO: how fun is it to clock in for work with a Marley hair bun and show up to the company mixer afterwards with a halo braid? WYPIPO end up severley confused and I end up slaying two looks in one day. To do list? CHECKED OFF.
6. Blogging: I'm reaching back into 2017 and bringing it along the way. I took a step back and even doubted if I liked creating, writing, and engaging. I was absolutely wrong and miss it so! Sure, I'm taking a shot in the dark daily and have no idea what will come of any of this. But it. makes. me. damn. happy.
2018 is gonna be lit kids.